Ultra is manufactured in Auckland from locally sourced raw materials by a Kiwi family who breed the beautiful Alaskan Malamute dogs. This large breed of domestic dogs was originally bred to haul heavy loads because of their strength and endurance. Our dogs regularly take part in sled racing. They have also appeared on the television series Xena Warrior Princess and featured in the Manurewa Christmas Parade, pulling Santa’s sleigh – where they attracted even more attention than the old man himself! Needless to say, we love dogs, all dogs. That’s why we want your dog to have the best food available, so they can stay in the best possible condition.
- All natural, sourced from raw materials, from the human food chain whenever possible.
- GE free, have no artificial colouring, flavouring or preservatives.
- Produced using the extrusion method, to keep them fresh. Minimum loss of nutrients and vitamins due to short cooking time.
- Antioxidants are Natural tocopherols, Rosemary, Citric Acid
- Enriched with Omega 3, Omega 6, Garlic, Kelp and Rosemary. For a shiny, healthy coat, and to help your dog resist disease and infection
- A premium quality affordable dog food.
- All formulae comply to AAFCO specifications as premium products.
- 100% New Zealand made.
With Ultra you get exactly what you expect – we never substitute due to lack of availability or because of pricing. We know that, like us, you want your dog to have the best – that’s why we have made Ultra available to New Zealand dog owners.
All foods deteriorate (oxidize) when exposed to air. This action can be slowed by various means, but never completely halted. There are basically 2 forms of antioxidants (preservatives) available to pet food manufacturers.
- These are a combination of vitamins C & E, usually in the form of tochopherols, citric acid, and rosemary extract.
- These come in a number of forms, some of which are quite harsh and require protective clothing when being handled.
Chemical preservatives generally give a longer shelf life than the natural forms and, are considerably cheaper. At Ultra, we use only natural antioxidants, and in the minimal amounts to ensure the shelf life is maintained. Our products are usually in the hands of the distributor within ten days of manufacture, compared to the up to 3 months with some imported products, thus ensuring that the product is as fresh as possible, and therefore with the absolute minimum of deterioration.
Minerals come in three forms, chelated (or proteinated) sulphates and oxides. Chelated are more easily absorbed by the dog than oxides and sulphates, but however are a lot more expensive. At Ultra, quality is paramount, so we use all chelated minerals.
Extruded v Baked
Most of us know that the longer you cook a food, the more you reduce the nutritional benefits. At Ultra we extrude the food, which means that it is cooked under pressure by direct steam injection in less than 30 seconds, compared to the up to 40 minutes required to bake a biscuit. This ensures minimal nutritional loss, particularly with the vitamin content, a lot of which is subject to damage when heated for too long a period.